Friday 25 December 2009

Christmas, Osama Bin Laden and the Humble Brussels Sprout

When it comes to totally pointless traditions us Brits have surely cornered the market. Morris Dancing, The Queen and the Christmas Day Brussels Sprout are just a smattering of things that we continually humour with seemingly little thought to their merit.

But that's the point of tradition isn't it ? It doesn't need any justification because by its very nature a tradition is something we do without question - that's the way its always done. That's why abolishing the monarchy and the Christmas Day Brussels Sprout is unthinkable - they are part of the idiosyncratic fabric of this little island we call Britannia - they are things that make us, well, us.

That's not to say tradition doesn't occasionally need a face lift ... The Queen has taken to using public transport these days and I could swear there is a hint of purple rinse going on too, but what of revamping the humble sprout ?

Thought of with about as much affection as the smell they produce halfway through the Eastenders Christmas Special the Brussels Sprout only seems to rear its bulbous little head once a year in my house. I don't think its inherently evil as vegetables go but years of systematic torture at the hands of amateur cooks now ranks it alongside Osama Bin Laden as guest least welcome at a dinner party.

For that reason this week I'm resurrecting our little friend with an incredible recipe I put together using wine, herbs, garlic and pine nuts. I'm going to eat them while I watch the Queen's speech today and if the worst comes to the worst, well, I can always blame it on the dog ...

Merry Christmas everyone !

X

P.S. Morris Dancing is deeply sinister and is one tradition we can definitely do without ... ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh child! You really need to watch your hand jesters/mannerisms. From 0.31 seconds onwards you are really channelling your inner ‘diva’. I think someone has been watching too many episodes of America’s next top model.Lol (Just saying.)X

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaa I literally just read this .... you got me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Ignoring anonymous...?!

    I can hardly believe a whole year has passed since we filmed this fantastic recipe. Holidays are coming!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete